I already made hummus before I even left to Tel Aviv, I love hummus!!!! This time I used the herbs that I bought at the Carmel Market to make this hummus with grilled vegetable. It is so easy but so tasty and healthy. I use spelt bread as a basis, but you can use any bread you like or have available. The good thing it is vegetarian as well, it’s good to skip meat now and then, the chickpeas contain enough proteins!! Check this Hummus food blog and others for more information and inspirations!
Hummus with grilled vegetables: What ingredients do you need?
- 20 minutes of your time
- Blender or other food processor
- Bread; 4 slices of any sort you like, I used spelt or sourdough
- Vegetables; 1 red Bell pepper/paprika, 1-2 sweet potatoes, 1 red union
- Chickpeas: a can of chickpeas use 200 gr.
- Tahini:1-1,5 tablespoon sesame paste
- Garlic: 1-2 chopped finely cloves, depend if you are keen on the garlic, I do!!
- Lemon juice: 50ml, squeeze a fresh or use ready-made, the first is better of course.
- Water: start with 50 and increase to 75-100 ml. check if you have the right texture.
- Olive Oil: 2 tablespoons and 1 to bake the vegetables
- Turmeric: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder or seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Sea Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Cayenne pepper: teaspoon
- Cilantro or Parsley if you don’t like Cilantro: 1 tablespoon finely chopped (leave some to use as garniture)
How to prepare the Hummus with grilled vegetables?
Clean the vegetables and cut them into semi large parts. As guidance, I cut the length of the bell pepper/paprika into half, around 3 cm. Bake all the vegetables in one tablespoon of olive oil and bake until you see the union caramelized and the rest gold brown. You can add some salt and pepper to the vegetables; I normally don’t because the hummus is tasty enough. Let the vegetables cool off and start making the hummus.
Chop the garlic, parsley or cilantro finely. Squeeze the lemon juice if you have it fresh. Combine the garlic, tahini, lemon juice and water in a blender or other food processor and mix until it is smooth paste. Then add the chickpeas, cilantro/parsley, turmeric, cumin powder/seeds, olive oil and cayenne pepper to the mixture. Mix again, adding more water if necessary. Finish with the sea salt and mix until 30-60 seconds more until you have a soft and smooth spread.
Then combine all the ingredients on a decorative plate. Start with the bread, put a big layer of home made hummus on top of the bread, put the colorful vegetables on top of the hummus and finish with rest of the herbs.
Tip: The plate I used is an original Artesian ceramic one from the Flea Market Old Jaffa in Tel Aviv. This way I give my daily life a touch of holiday all the time. So love to bring souvenirs with me from every destination. Not only original but brings back memories every time I use them. (See more in my blog on Souvenirs)
Enjoy your Vegetarian Lunch!!!