Sunday morning again!! I’m into something new, healthy, fresh and filling. I looked in my fridge and found bread, eggs, milk and some red fruit. Oatmeal? No, something new French Toast; or in Holland we call them Wentelteefjes. This meal is actually not new at all; the basis is very old. My grandmother used to make this tasty dish of older bread. In 10 minutes you have a tasty and good looking breakfast on a plate. See below what you need for this old school but delicious breakfast.
What do you need for one serving of French Toast?
- 10-15 min of your time
- Frying pan
- Flat Bowl + whisk (Dutch: garde)
- Serving plate
- Slices bread; I used 3 slices of spelt bread which is healthier than white bread
- Egg: 1 bio
- Milk: 100ml almond milk or any other kind
- Cinnamon: ½ teaspoon
- Honey: 1 tablespoon or maple syrup if you prefer that
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
- Fresh fruit: 200 gr of fresh fruit
- Coconut yogurt: 1 tablespoon
- Coconut flacks for decoration
Tip: For the this recipe you can use older bread that is not that fresh anymore; this way you save food instead of throwing away!
How to make the French Toasts?
It can’t be easier than this!! In the flat bowl, whisk the egg, milk and cinnamon together. Soak the slices of bread in the mixture. Heat up the frying pan with the coconut oil and fry the bread slices till they get a bit brown on both sides.
Decorate the bread on the serving plate, put the coconut yogurt in the middle and the fruit on top of the bread. Finish off with some honey and coconut flakes.
Enjoy your colorful breakfasts!!!