During the Corona quarantine period I started to bake more just like many others; at some point my supermarket even run out of flour! To avoid unhealthy snacking during my working from home, I wanted to make something that is still sweet but not too much sugars. Banana bread is perfect for that, the natural sweetener are the bananas and some honey and/or agave syrup. Be careful it is healthier option than cookies and candy but still some carbs in this banana bread. Don’t eat to many slices a day which is difficult I know; it taste sooo good and is hard to resist!
What do you need for one loaf of this delicious Banana Bread?
- 30 minutes preparation time
- 45 minutes bake time
- Loaf pan (20-25 cm by 10-13 cm)
- Bananas: 7 ripe ones (about 700 gr)
- Spelt whole meal flour: 300 grams
- Eggs: 2 preferably biological ones
- Flaxseeds: 2 tablespoon fine ground
- Walnuts: 50 gr crushed
- Coconut grater: 4 tablespoons
- Coconut oil: 100 gr melted and some to grease the loaf pan.
- Maple syrup: 75 ml
- Honey: 75 ml
- Almond milk: 150 ml
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon, unsweetened
- Tartaric acid baking powder (Dutch: wijnsteenzuurbakpoeder): 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda: 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: big pinch
How to make it?
Put everything in the loaf pan. Don’t forget to put the last big slice of banana on top of the loaf. Put the loaf in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check afterwards with a wooden stick if the dough is dry inside.
Be patient, I know its difficult…., and let the cake cool off before you start cutting it into parts!
Tip: What I usually do is put half of the cake in separate slices into the freezer. This way I always have a backup.
Tip: Put the slice in the toaster or under the grill for couple of minutes, to make it warm again!
Enjoy your slice of Banana Bread!