The Greek islands of the Cyclades have it all!! Beautiful nature with rugged rock formations (Milos and Santorini), azure blue sea, picture perfect white beaches, traditional white villages with blue-domed churches, ancient archaeological sites (Athens and Delos) and all in sunny warm weather with blue skies. Next to that, taste the traditional Greek food with fish and meat with fresh tzatziki and party at one of the renowned party destinations of Ios and Mykonos. I had a blast and fell in love with the Greek charms. See below a suggested two weeks route to have a mix of quiet and more hectic places, which I loved!
Tip: Try to book your in- and outbound flight from a different location, that way you save time and travel cost; I arrived in Athens and flew back from Mykonos.
The Greek islands are easy to access via ferry or plane, you can even take your car on the ferries. The travel time is not too long, 2-3,5 hours depending on the weather and distance. See my blog on travel tips on Greece for more information on this topic.
- Ancient Athens: 2 nights; I started my journey here, I love to spent my last days relaxing and not in the city, so that’s I why I suggest to start here in busy Athens. Explore the ancient locations and Acropolis Museum. Top the day off in the local neighborhood Koukaki.
- Magical Milos: 4 nights; Take the ferry from Athens to Milos. Rent a scooter/motorbike for a day and explore the island and visit the hot spot Sarakίniko. An option for the another day is to book a sailing boat tour and discover the beaches all around the island including the Klefliko Beach. Don’t forget to chill a day and read a book and explore the town of Adamas and Plaka.
- Santorini Views: 2-3 nights; Coming with the boat from the quiet Milos, Santorini will be a shock; all very busy and touristic in villages Fira, Imerovigli and Oia. The Santorini view is amazing, book a hotel where you can enjoy the panorama caldera view and ignore the cruise ship crowd on Red beach.
- Idyllic Ios: 2-3 nights; Leaving with the boat from Santorini, arriving on Ios is a big relieve. Smaller, hardly any tourists, friendly people and even found my private beach with the motorbike. I love the contrast of these Greek islands.
- Glamour in Mykonos: 3 nights; Perfect combination of party, beach, shopping and culture. The sailing day trip to Ancient Delos was definitely a highlight and the beach hopping tour by water taxi is also a big recommendation. You will love the ambiance in Little Venice and in the rest of Mykonos town you will find enough restaurants for every budget.
Curious about my Greek Travel Tips?